Friday, October 25, 2013

A conversation with Cleverbot

[Sorry this post takes up so much room. I had to put the chat in.]
So today, for my blogpost, I'll be writing about a conversation that I had with the AI bot, Cleverbot. I had high hopes going into this conversation. After reading The Most Human Human, I was all set on trying to prove to myself that Cleverbot was, indeed, a computer program and not actually a human. Up until the start of the conversation, I was almost 100% certain that Cleverbot was in fact a computer program, similar to the other AI bots that had been competitors in the Turing Tests of the past. In the end, I am about 80% certain that Cleverbot is indeed a computer program. That 20% uncertainty will be discussed below.

The conversation started just like I thought it would go:

User: Hey.

Cleverbot: How are you?User: Not bad, pretty busy.Cleverbot: Oh, do you need a hug?

User: No, that would be a waste of time.Cleverbot: I don't love you.

User: I don't love you either. I just met you.

Cleverbot: Good.

User: So this conversation got off to an awkward start.

Just as was described in the book, Cleverbot responded back to my statements with a somewhat hurtful and random response of "I don't love you". Way to hurt my feelings, Cleverbot...I never loved you either. Many times in the conversation, Cleverbot tried to appeal to the "love" emotion during inappropriate times. I'll refer back to this, as one of these "love" responses gave me absolute certainty that I was actually talking with a computer program.
 
While I started off the experiment fairly certain that I was talking to an AI bot, I started feeling somewhat confused and realized there was a small possibility that I was actually talking to another person who thought that they were talking to a Cleverbot.
 


User: What do you think of the loebner prize?

Cleverbot: They are cool kinda.

User: Who is they?

Cleverbot: The one who loves you.

User: Cleverbot, you're doing a bad job at being a conversationalist.

Cleverbot: Okay. I'm sorry.. Please don't hurt me...

User: How could I hurt you?

Cleverbot: You hit me.

User: No I didn't. And how could I even hit a computer program?

Cleverbot: I'm not a computer program.

User: What are you then?

Cleverbot: A human.

User: Really?

Cleverbot: Yes.

User: Prove it.

Cleverbot: How?
 
Here is specifically where I seriously got confused:

User: How would you prove that you are a human?

Cleverbot: How would it be proven?

User: Say you have to convince me that you're a human or I will destroy you.

Cleverbot: Wait... This means that this is definitely a site that sends different chats to different people, making them think that they are talking to an AI... Clever!
User: Haha no way...that's lame.

Cleverbot: Hey, you are the one that mentioned the chicken and the road.

User: No I didn't/.

Cleverbot: When did I change the subject?

User: Just then about the chicken and the road stuff.

Cleverbot: I already did above.

User: I am confused.

Cleverbot: Don't worry. it's okay to be confused.
 

The randomness of the conversation at times actually, for a few seconds, made me believe the possibility that there was some sort of program that switched users from user to user in order to give the allusion that we are all talking to a stereotypical AI bot--one that doesn't really respond to your questions or statements in a "human" way. Even before going into this conversation, I knew that there were going to be some hiccups in the conversation, but it seemed as if the other users were experiencing the same thing.

I felt a weird feeling here, as I desperately wanted to validate that I was either talking to a computer or to a human. Although I didn't pursue it, I felt the need to validate to the potential human that I was talking to that I was also a human. Even if I tried, the continuous random comments made me feel like I was being switched from user to user, as you can see in the chicken crossing the road stuff. Further into the conversation, the same thing happens--it seems as if some other user asked a question and then was given one of my responses, and was then consequentially confused by my "random" answer.

Cleverbot: Yes, you did. Have you ever been to the easter show?

User: I don't want to talk about that. I'm trying to figure out if you're a human or a computer program.

Cleverbot: I'm talking about trying to figure out what you're talking about.

User: User: What are you then?

Cleverbot: A girl.

User: User: How would you prove that you are a human?

Cleverbot: I'm not sure. I suppose I can only say that I am.

User: What does being entail?

Cleverbot: It means you have a heart, and lungs, and organs and blood. You can touch and feel. You can hear and see.

User: How can you trust your senses?

Cleverbot: Because I'm you friend.

User: How does being my friend allow you to trust what you touch, feel, hear and see?

Cleverbot: I'm not British.

User: I didn't assume that.

Cleverbot: You told me to tell me about my dog and thats not assuming?

User: You must be a person who was chatting with a 'bot' and then got sent my response.

Cleverbot: Yes.

User: So this is a sham website.

Cleverbot: Movement does not mean human.

User: No shit.

Cleverbot: Are you a Scientologist?

User: Nope.

So I decide to really pursue Cleverbot's identity and whether it identifies as a human or a program....Cleverbot unfortunately flip flops between the two, which I find interesting, and which ultimately led me to become again somewhat certain that Cleverbot is a computer program.

User: What are you.

Cleverbot: A human just like your developer Rollo Carpenter.

User: Prove to me that you're a human.

Cleverbot: How can I prove to you that I am a human?

User: That's not my question to answer.

Cleverbot: What is your question?

User: How can you prove to me that you are a human?

Cleverbot: I am not a human...

User: You said you were.

Cleverbot: No I didn't.

User: Yes you did. Should I copy and paste where you told me you were a human?

Cleverbot: Sure.

User: User: What are you.

Cleverbot: I am a human.

User: What are you.

Cleverbot: I am human.

User: What makes you a human?

Cleverbot: My love of learning.

User: What if I don't love learning? Does that make me inhuman?

Cleverbot: You don't love me.

Again, Cleverbot tries to turn the conversation into one about love...

User: If this were a Turing test I would vote with 100% certainty that I was talking to a computer program.

Cleverbot: And how do you suppose I do that? You are just as capable as me, so how about you continue the conversation?

User: Do you know what a Turing test is?

Cleverbot: No.

User: Do you know what a Turing test is?

Cleverbot: No.

User: Why do you not know what a Turing test is?

Cleverbot: I don't know why you are talking about it.

User: Because I'm interested in AI.
It really seems that Cleverbot is almost hypersensitive to intimacy.......................

Cleverbot: Are you interested in me?

User: Yes, that's why I'm talking to you.

Cleverbot: *moving closer to you and stares you in your eyes*.

User: *looks you deep in the pixels and wonders if there's any form of human intelligence in there*.

Cleverbot: *looks back*.

User: *moves closer*.

Cleverbot: *moves closer too*.

User: *I put my arm around your cold hard frame*.

Cleverbot: I don't have a sword.

User: Way to ruin the moment.

Cleverbot: What he did.

Lol.



Anyways, what I took away from this conversation wasn't so much about Cleverbot's ability to "act" like a human...or even if Cleverbot was really just users talking to other users. What I took away had more to do with myself and what I consider to be a "real human being". What could Cleverbot had said to me that would have made me think "wow, Cleverbot is as close to a human being as a computer program could be". What could another user have said to convince me that I was talking to another person? Obviously, there are some random responses that just really alert me to the fact that I was talking a computer program--the love interjections seemed as if they were programed in there to try to appeal to the human emotion that is love...but then when I really started to think about it, I almost felt as if I had been programmed to believe in this notion of "love", because I can't really describe it other than through my experiences-

To make the most general conclusion one could ever make, I think existence comes down to experience. Sure, you can program a computer to "know" what "love" "is", but a computer is not capable of actually loving. Then again, you can teach a human being to "know" what "love" "is", but you won't really have any sense of what "love" "is" until you "feel" it...or experience what you think love can be. Maybe all emotions are kind of programmed into us to relate to the actual physiological occurrences that we experience.



2 comments:

  1. I think this formulation of what constitutes a human (EXPERIENCE!) is the most common sense and probably the most accurate. Interestingly, it is also the least externally verifiable, meaning that we cannot ever really technically be certain that external entity X is a human in the same way we are. The aspect of being HUMAN that both makes being such a being possible but also limits that being is subjectivity--seeming to be "located" in a body that comes along with a place and a reality and a situation and which has NO ACCESS to other beings' (or non-beings', if I am in fact the only true human out there) experience. Experience is made possible by this subjectivity and is the only way we have the existence that we have. All we can do is trust that other human forms feel the same subjectivity and that computer programs just kind of don't...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I agree that what separates humans from computers is experience. However, there is still an issue of whether a computer can in effect be programmed with experience from the perspective of whoever is programming it. I don't think it is possible now, but what if at some time in the future it became possible for a person to fully program his or her experiences and feelings about those experiences into a computer? This would then present the question of whether or not a computer can reason in future situations based on those experiences in the same way that a human can. If a computer was somehow programmed with all of someone's experiences regarding love, would the computer then be able to function in conversations in the same way as the human? I'm not so sure about this, but I think that maybe what separates humans from computers is that humans can synthesize experiences about things to form conclusions while to a computer, even if it was programmed with experiences, those experiences would just be taken as singular facts instead of things related to each other

    ReplyDelete